Many devotees have asked us that if Nitai Bhajan and Nitai Vayulekhan are so powerful and essential then why Shrila Prabhupad or any other previous Acharya did not introduce them?
Our response goes like this:
- So many practices and modifications have been introduced in our Paramapara in the past so many centuries. They cannot be termed as deviations because they were necessary as per the time, place, and circumstances. A modification or new practice which has no prior scriptural theory can only be termed as a deviation. Something which is already theoretically mentioned can be implemented anytime. There is so much theory regarding Nitai Bhajan in the books of our Acharyas that nobody can question its authenticity. If you question the authenticity of Nitai Bhajan then you are actually showing that you have no faith in the Vani (Teachings) of our Guru Paramapara.
- One Acharya need not necessarily establish each and everything in Bhakti. Every Acharya has His own quota. I do not understand why certain devotees have become so biased towards Shrila Prabhupad that they fail to accept anything outside of what He implemented during His pastimes even if it is 100% philosophically correct. Devotional service cannot be approached with such narrow-mindedness. Shrila Prabhupad had His own mission. Other Acharyas had Their own mission. All of Them are internally inspired by Adi Guru Nitai, the Guru of all Gurus, to fulfil certain tasks. We should not think that there is no Acharya before or after Shrila Prabhupad.
- The standard of chanting 64 rounds of the Hare Krishna Mahamantra was brought down to 16 rounds per day by Shrila Prabhupad looking at the time, place, and circumstances. Nobody questions that if Shrila Bhaktisiddhant did not implement this then why did Shrila Prabhupad bring about this change? As the condition of people is degrading further, only Nitai Bhajan will save the fallen souls. Why do we question this instead? Either we don’t accept that Nitai is the deliverer of the fallen souls or we don’t agree that the condition of the people is degrading. And if we accept both these things then how can we question the introduction and implementation of Nitai Bhajan?
- Shrila Prabhupad’s primary mission was to establish Krishna as the Supreme Personality of Godhead in the western world by preaching to them in their own language, that is, English. In order to tell someone about Nitai Gaur, Krishna’s supremacy had to established first. Once Srila Prabhupada was asked by one of his disciples how they would receive instruction from him after His departure. His famous answer was: “Everything is there in my books.” As a matter of fact, in His books Shrila Prabhupad has clearly mentioned that the worship of Nitai Gaur is certainly more beneficial and appropriate for the conditioned souls of this degraded Age of Kali. He wrote in CC 1.8.31 purport, “A neophyte student who is not sufficiently educated or enlightened should not indulge in the worship of Śrī Rādhā and Kṛṣṇa or the chanting of the Hare Kṛṣṇa mantra. Even if he does so, he cannot get the desired result. One should therefore chant the names of Nitāi-Gaura and worship Them without false prestige.” Shrila Prabhupad successfully laid down the foundation for future implementation of Nitai Bhajan by first spreading the Glories of Krishna and Prema-bhakti. Now, those who wish to attain Krishna-prem must certainly take the offenseless shelter of Nitai and thus make this human life successful.
- Shrila Prabhupada also wrote in SB 1.5.16 purport: “The expert devotees also can discover novel ways and means to convert the nondevotees in terms of particular time and circumstance. Devotional service is dynamic activity, and the expert devotees can find out competent means to inject it into the dull brains of the materialistic population. Such transcendental activities of the devotees for the service of the Lord can bring a new order of life to the foolish society of materialistic men.”
In the above purport, Shrila Prabhupad has clearly accepted that devotional service is dynamic activity and there is always a scope of introduction of novel ways and means to deliver the fallen souls. The above quote talks about ‘coversion of NONDEVOTEES into devotees’, ‘injection of devotional service in the dull brains of MATERIALISTIC POPULATION’ and ‘spiritualising the FOOLISH society of materialistic men.’ Our proposition is that Nitai Bhajan is the most appropriate novel means of achieving the aforementioned targets Let us see another quote from Chaitanya-Bhagavata Madhya 3.134:
vanik adhama murkha ye karila para
brahmanda pavitra haya nama laile yanra
“The entire universe is purified by chanting the name of Lord Nitai as it is only He who delivered the fallen (NONDEVOTEES), the FOOLISH, and the merchants (materialistic population).”
Purport by Shrila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura Prabhupada:
nityanandera prabhura nama shravana karile jagatera sakala lokera papa-pravrtti prashamita haiya pavitra tara udaya haya. vanik, adhama, murkha-iharau pavitra haiya brahmajna u bhagavad-bhakta hana.
“Simply by chanting or hearing the name of Lord Nityananda, the sinful inclinations in the hearts of all the living entities in the universe are permanently destroyed and their inherent purity is automatically awakened. On chanting or hearing the name of Lord Nityananda, even the merchants, degraded, fallen and foolish people are purified and immediately become realized in the Absolute Truth and devotees of the Lord.”
If we analyse both the verses with a little ability to identify interconnections, then it seems as if Shrila Prabhupad wrote that purport keeping Nitai Bhajan only in mind. 🙂 Thus, we have full sanction by Shrila Prabhupad for the implementation of Nitai Bhajan and nobody can question it because even though it looks novel, it is still deeply rooted in the teachings of the Guru Paramapara.
6. Last but not least, we would like to present another important quote by Shrila Prabhupada during a Room Conversation, August 14, 1971, London: Prabhupada: No. We are recommending “Chant the holy name of God.” So if you have got the holy name of God, you can chant that. Prabhupada: Anyway, if one chants Allah or Jesus Christ, we have no objection. We don’t say that you stop it. We say that you chant the holy name of God. If that name is of God, you chant.” Here, Shrila Prabhupad is not even objecting the chanting the name of Allah or Jesus Christ, then why certain so-called followers of Shrila Prabhupad are objecting to the chanting or airwriting of the Holy Name of the most merciful Nitai who is the origin of all other Vishnu Tattva forms. Shrila Krishnadas Kaviraj Goswami writes in CC 1.5.7:
garbhoda-śāyī ca payo ’bdhi-śāyī
śeṣaś ca yasyāṁśa-kalāḥ sa nityā-
nandākhya-rāmaḥ śaraṇaṁ mamāstu
May Śrī Nityānanda Rāma be the object of my constant remembrance. Saṅkarṣaṇa, Śeṣa Nāga and the Viṣṇus who lie on the Kāraṇa Ocean, Garbha Ocean and ocean of milk are His plenary portions and the portions of His plenary portions.
Is Nitai inferior to Allah or Jesus Christ? Is He lesser than them? If your answers are in the negative then we kindly request you with folded hands not to object Nitai Bhajan and Nitai Vayulekhan. Please. Joy Nitai. Jaya Prabhupad!